1. How many different alkanes with C6H14 molecular formula can you make? Draw their skeletal formulae and name them.
2. What is the shortest chain-length alkane to have structural isomers ?
butane – which has the isomer methylpropane
3. Draw all the isomers of C4H8 you can think of. Which can have cis-trans isomers ?
4. Draw skeletal formulae of cis-hex-3-ene and trans-hex-3-ene
5. Which of the following molecules has chiral centers, and where are they?
CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2OH no chiral centre
CH3CH2C*H(NH2)CH3 chiral centre shown by *
CH3CHClCH3 no chiral centre
CH3C*H(OH)Br chiral centre shown by *
CH3CH(CH3)C*H(OH)C*H(CH3)CH2CH3 two chiral centres each shown by *
6. Draw the optical isomers of serine, H2NCH(CH2OH)COOH